Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Roller Coaster, or The Days After

I talk about roller coasters whenever I can. 

I find that how I feel about things fluctuates. And it can change in just a few minutes. When I'm feeling doubtful or worried about the future, I sometimes wonder how things will work out. But, I haven't given up and I won't. I know and feel assured that everything will be good and that God really does have places for me to go, jobs to find, and people to meet and love.

Neal A. Maxwell said:

"We may not know how to account for our moods at times, but the fact that these moods pass through us ought not to destabilize us so far as the deep doctrines of the Church are concerned. If down moods cannot be driven out at once, we can at least accelerate their transit times.

"It is so easy for one person's bad day to become another person's bad day. A spreading electrical power outage ends up affecting everybody, because early on, the discipline required was abandoned in favor of passing the problem along. Emotional electricity is much like the real thing.

"In any objective assessment of life, we can always be reassured as to the things that matter most: Immortality is ours through the gift and grace of Jesus Christ; there is a loving, caring Father in heaven; and we will live eternally under His perfect rule. We have such high promises and absolutely no reason for ultimate discouragement. Therefore, proximate pessimism ought not to envelop us. We ought not to be blitzed by our moods."

So, I'll remain seated, keep my hands and feet inside the car at all times, hold on tight, and enjoy the ride.  : )

1 comment:

  1. NAM is one of the great thinkers of our time. This post is very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete