Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Guest Post: Julie Meyers

"A few weeks ago, I was deeply offended by someone I love dearly.  I felt positive that this person’s actions were wrong and that I was right.  I wanted so much for this person to acknowledge the hurt he/she had caused and to apologize.  I couldn’t think about anything else except getting this person to recognize the error of his/her ways.  In an attempt to justify my angry feelings, I turned to the scriptures for guidance.  Instead of finding validation for my bitterness, I was gently led by the Lord to the following counsel in the 64th section of the Doctrine and Covenants*:

8 My disciples, in days of old, sought occasion against one another and forgave not one another in their hearts; and for this evil they were afflicted and sorely chastened.

 9 Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin.

 10 I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men.

 11 And ye ought to say in your hearts—let God judge between me and thee, and reward thee according to thy deeds.

"I was chastened.  I prayed for help to let go of these resentful feelings, and almost instantly, I felt complete peace, whereas holding onto my grudge caused me to feel “afflicted,” as the scripture states.  Even though forgiveness is not the world’s philosophy and is indeed our natural and usually first response to being offended or hurt, it is the only way to find true happiness. 

"I was also struck by the words in verse 8, where the Lord states that his disciples had not forgiven each other “in their hearts.”  So often, I have said, “Oh, that’s okay,” when someone has apologized yet then held on to secret resentments in my heart.  Anger and frustration are destructive and halt our progression, while forgiveness is healing and beautiful and allows us to move forward in our relationships and our own personal growth."


*The Doctrine and Covenants is a collection of divine revelations . . . given of God through his chosen prophets for the restoration of his holy work . . . in these days” (Explanatory Introduction, Doctrine and Covenants).

4 comments:

  1. Love it, Jules! So true. Thanks for posting....and Eric, Hello! I hope you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's so true. Where did you get the story Eric? I love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister wrote it. I'm having a few people write up their own experiences and I'm posting them. And I found the pictures on Pinterest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Julie tremendously. To hear that she was hurt this deeply, hurt me as well. I am moved by her choices and decisions in handling this situation. Thank you for sharing her words. How beautiful.

    Bekah~

    ReplyDelete