Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Has God Forgotten Me?, or Have I Forgotten God?


"Memory is a net; one finds it full of fish when he takes it from the brook; but a dozen of miles of water have run through it without sticking."
-Olivier Wendell Holmes

When hard times come and seem to stay and stay, we sometimes ask where God is and why He hasn't kept His promises. As we look at our lives we may see unfairness or abandonment. We may feel picked on or ignored.

It is at these times that we must rely on our understanding of who God is and why we're on earth; we must rely on our faith. We build faith and we are just passing through times when it is meant to be used. These are times to not forget all that God has done and continues to do for us.  

"Memory is a net; one finds it full of fish when he takes it from the brook;
but a dozen of miles of water have run through it without sticking."

It is surprisingly easy to focus on our problems and overlook all the good that we have in our lives.  

We can be so focused on our life that seems to be "full of fish" that we ignore the "dozen[s] of miles of water that have run though" our lives without us recognizing them. We have food, water, a house or a place to live, senses, family, friends, we can communicate with God, we have chairs, plates, entertainment, commandments and guidance, health, the ability to feel emotions, an understanding of our reason of living, a hope for a joyful and perfect future, etc., etc.  

If all I had tomorrow is what I thanked God for today, what would I have tomorrow?

I know that God supports us during our trials. He does not abandon us. He supports us with "miles of water" all the while we are going through difficult things. As we choose to thank Him for everything He has given us, our faith in Him will grow and we will feel greater peace. We will see that God has not forgotten us; we have just forgotten Him.

"Memory is a net; one finds it full of fish when he takes it from the brook;
but a dozen of miles of water have run through it without sticking." 

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Eric for sharing these thoughts. With my own trials to forge through I found great peace when reading a talk by Elder Hugh B. Brown called The Currant Bush. Similar thoughts different delivery.

    "Thank you, Mr. Gardner, for loving me enough to cut me down."

    I love your comment of "If all I had tomorrow is what I thanked God for today, what would I have?" is great food for thought.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great talk. And thanks for your comments!
    I hope everything is going well for you and your family. You're all awesome. And you're the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I can't remember where I heard the "if all I had tomorrow" thing, but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "If all I had tomorrow..." great thought. We all have a great deal to be thankful for even if we are facing hard things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eric, this is such a neat blog. Wow. It makes me realize I need to do a better job at writing down things that really matter. You are such a good person.

    ReplyDelete