Saturday, November 5, 2011

Guest Post: Lisa Christensen

I have invited some people I know to contribute to my blog. I asked them to share some of their experiences and thoughts about life, God, hardships, etc. Here is the first of a few. This is by Lisa Christensen.

"There are many impressive things in the world. Utah rain is typically not one of them. But on one spring day last year, the clouds opened up and released the kind of heavy, sustained sheets of water that have been the backdrop for many a passionate movie kiss.
"I love rain, and would have been more inclined to celebrate the miracle of substantial precipitation were I not two miles from home and without a car in the middle of the night. The clouds had begun to break just before I left a friend's house. I had loaned out my car, and had the borrowers drop me off for a party. It had not been raining when I had left my car and I did not think to take an umbrella. It also did not occur to me to ask anyone for a ride. For some reason, on that rainy spring night, I simply hoofed it.

"The first several blocks were pleasant, an adventure. Running between the raindrops was impossible, but leaping over small puddles in the sidewalks or streams rushing down the storm drains was fun, and I was enjoying the novelty. By the time I approached a mile, though, my clothes were soaked through and my hair was dripping wet.
"Coming down the home stretch of more than a half mile in length, I finally found a tree big and broad enough to give a little dry cover against the rainstorm. As it happened, this blessed respite was across the street from the Logan Utah Temple. The bright light emanating from its white domes, perhaps made more brilliant in contrasting the angry, dark clouds above.

"Huddling there against the magnificent tree with the temple standing so near, my shivering was suddenly insignificant and my sopping clothes no longer mattered. In the peace that took the place of those temporal problems, I finally noticed the stillness echoing amidst the raindrops.
"Of course, I couldn't stay there forever. It was still pouring and midnight and I was still several blocks away from a hot shower and warm bed. And I realize I should have called someone at some point, which eventually became more a point of pride than forgetfulness, but this is not a story about stubbornness. This is a story about moments of peace amidst storms literal and figurative.

"Life is hard. I don't believe it's much of a stretch to apply the literal raindrops to the figurative bombardment of hardship and difficulty we face every day. And they might seem novel at first, but the torrent of anger and contention and woe that seem to fill most arenas of our modern world wears on the body and soul of a person. Everyone needs a tree under which to stand, if only for a minute, and become refreshed in the image of God and things greater than a little rain. Church or temple attendance are certainly shelters, as can be meetings with good friends or family, or even taking a moment to revel in miracle that is life and the universe and everything.
"And then can we head back into the tempest, perhaps not yet dry but ready again to face and endure for a little longer."

No comments:

Post a Comment